Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy Birthday! Storytime


I currently conduct family storytimes that are meant for children of all ages, although I find most of them are ages 4-10.

This week in honor of my birthday, I had a birthday themed storytime. Here are the books I read:

Happy Birthday, Hamster by Cynthia Lord
Don’t Spill the Beans! by Ian Schoenherr
Happy Birthday, Moon by Frank Asch
Moira’s Birthday by Robert Munsch




 This was their favorite book! Lots of laughter during the telling of this story! 

Picture from:


I used two flannel boards this week, one about cupcakes and the other about birthday candles. For the candles flannel board, I put a cake on the board and passed out ten candles to the kids. I sang a rhyme, and when I called the color of the candle they were holding, they had to place it on the board. The rhyme went like this:
"If you have a blue candle, blue candle, blue candle,
If you have a blue candle, put it on the board."
The kids were very creative and made a cake man out of the candles. I was impressed!

Our craft was a birthday card made with construction paper, a cupcake die cut, and sequins.
 

2 comments:

  1. A fun way to celebrate your birthday! If you have to work on your birthday, you might as well make it fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought about doing something like that around my birthday, but I never wanted it to be too obvious. This year, I'm totally going to do it; you've talked me into it.

    ReplyDelete